Monday, July 22, 2013

Ich bin ein Hamburger!

This weekend I was finally able to go to Hamburg! It was so beautiful. Our first place to visit was the Rathaus. It is undeniably the best looking Rathaus I have been to in Germany, and I have seen my fair share of Rathauses this summer. (For those who don't know: a "Rathaus" is where the local government meets.)


It is huge, I couldn't get it all in one picture! 
We also made it to the St. Petri:


 After a full day of touring Hamburg, we headed to the infamous Reeperbahn. Let's just say, it was very interesting. It wasn't as graphic as the redlight district in Amsterdam, but it had a very pungent smell... I couldn't stay too long, I think that might have been for the best.
Since we went to bed somewhat early on Saturday, we were able to spend almost the entire day on the harbor. It was hot, but the breeze down by the river was wonderful.






Before we left, we stopped by a little bar called "Strand Pauli," a little play on words for all you St. Pauli fans. It was cool. The theme is like a make shift beach; you can see the water, you are in the sand, there is a little bit of shade, and you can drink. I was able to get some sun in the hour I was there.


Overall, Hamburg was very pretty, and had some nice architecture. It was a pretty expensive city, even the "cheap" places to eat (that our tour guide recommended) were still 30% more expensive than an average place in Bonn. Other than that, I was very impressed with Hamburg and glad I got the opportunity to go.

The weather has been great in Germany for the last week or so. It is the longest I haven't seen rain since I have been here! The weather here amazes me; within the first couple of weeks it was in the 30s F and now its almost 85 F! Glad I packed for all seasons!

On Thursday we are headed to a ropes course in near by Brühl (where my princess castle is located). Update and pictures will be posted shortly after.
bis bald...

Tschüss!

P.S. even though I have no pictures of it, I successfully had a Hamburger in Hamburg!

No comments:

Post a Comment